what makes a picture book club subscription so special?
Every book in every subscription is hand-selected by me.* And every book in every custom subscription is hand-selected with each individual recipient in mind.
While I can’t guarantee that everyone will like every book I pick, I can guarantee a few things:
(1) I have read thousands of picture books. It's the rare book that I deem worthy of inclusion in The Picture Book Club.
(2) Every picture book I send out has inspired, delighted, surprised, or moved me in some way.
(3) Every Picture Book Club selection has also been approved by my child labor force.
*WHO ARE YOU, ANYWAY?
Before starting The Picture Book Club, I worked as an editor, a writer, and a lawyer.
The picture books I was exposed to as a child remain some of my most vivid and cherished encounters with literature and with art.
Now that I'm a mother, few things make me happier than curling up with the little ones and reading a book together.
WHAT AGE IS A PICTURE BOOK CLUB SUBSCRIPTION APPROPRIATE FOR?
Picture Book Club subscriptions are generally appropriate for children 0-8 years old. I can also include chapter books for slightly older kids.
WHAT HAVE OTHER CUSTOMERS SAID ABOUT THE PICTURE BOOK CLUB?
So glad you asked! Here's a sampling:
"I pride myself on the library of books we have built for our two children so I am thoroughly impressed that you have managed to send us wonderful books that we don't have and often have never even heard of." - M.B.
* * *
"My daughter is obsessed with the books she's gotten from The Picture Book Club and can't wait for her delivery to arrive every month." - T.B.
* * *
“Thank you so very much for all the fabulous books you have sent. They are consistently our favorites. We most often reach for your books and I feel so grateful to have discovered The Picture Book Club.” - S.K.
* * *
"I've been giving these books to my granddaughter for a good while now, and she loves them. In fact, I don't know how I'm ever going to be able to stop, because she always reminds me when her subscription is about to expire. Thank you for a wonderful way to help her enjoy reading." - C.E.
how does customization work?
Custom subscriptions are comprised of a mix of hot-off-the-presses discoveries, classic and recent favorites, and overlooked gems. Each subscription will vary based on (1) the age of the recipient; (2) any customization information you provide; and (3) the books that are particularly delighting me at the time of your order.
Purchasers say things like:
- "My daughter is equally interested in princesses & fairies and cars & trucks. I would love for her to have some stories about princesses that do not come from Disney" or
- "[This kid's] parents come from the public radio-film world, and appreciate urban charm and quirkiness" or
- "My nephew is adopted and bi-racial; we'd like him to receive some books that reflect his family"
and I pick books I think the recipients will like.
what if WE already own a book you've sent?
You have a few options:
(1) re-gift it;
(2) list the picture books you currently own in the customization form (seriously, feel free to do this!) so I will know to avoid those;
(3) opt to receive advance notice of the book I'm planning to send you that month. If you already own it, I'll pick another book for you.
Please note that The Picture Book Club does not accept returns.
how soon after an order is placed will a book arrive?
Generally, you should expect to receive the first book of a subscription within about 4 weeks of your order. If you need it to arrive sooner, enter that information in the customization form or email info @ thepicturebookclub.com. I am usually able to get books out quickly enough to arrive for a special occasion; just let me know what your needs are.
can we have the first book sent to us so we can present it at a birthday party/baby shower/holiday gathering?
Absolutely! Just note this in the customization form when you check out. The first book will be sent to you and subsequent books in the subscription will be sent directly to the recipient.
Does the picture book club ship internationally?
still have a question?
Use the Contact form at the top of the site to get in touch.